Investing in Rental Property
Rental property in a self-directed IRA includes residential homes, condos, townhomes, commercial buildings, and even foreign real estate. Rentals can provide steady, monthly income as well as the potential for property appreciation over the years. Your IRA owns the property and all income is deposited into the account on a tax-sheltered basis.
You can partner your IRA’s funds with other individuals (or their IRAs) to invest in rentals. Income and expenses are determined based on the percent of ownership of each party.
A Few Rules & Guidelines
- Relevant expenses must be paid by your IRA; be sure your plan has adequate funds to cover these after purchase.
- Your IRA can hire a property manager who is not a disqualified person to receive rents, pay expenses, and screen tenants.
- A third, non-disqualified, party must perform maintenance and repairs; you are prohibited from doing these yourself.
- Rental property in a self-directed IRA is for investment purposes only and cannot be used by you or any other disqualified person for any purpose.
- You cannot purchase property from a disqualified person or entity.
Tips for investing with your IRA
- Do your research—inspect the property, review the property’s sales history, past owners, tenants, and current renters. Also understand any HOA or other restrictions.
- If you are investing in foreign real estate, have a clear understanding of that country’s rules and regulations.
- Your IRA can use a non-recourse loan to leverage investment buying power. These are more involved than conventional loans. Consult an appropriate professional to help you navigate the requirements.
Why Invest with a Real Estate IRA?
A real estate IRA is a popular strategy for building critical retirement income by investing in rental property.
The following accounts can be used to invest:
- Traditional or Roth IRA
- Former employer’s 401(k) or any employer’s plan (403b, 457, TSP, etc)
- SEP or SIMPLE IRA
Watch this video to learn what Real Estate IRAs are and how they work.
Ready to Get Started or Have Questions?
Contact Larissa Greene
800.425.0653, ext. 1140
You can also complete the request for a free consultation or click on the link below to open your account online.
OPEN YOUR ACCOUNT
Do You Want More Information on PMI Arrico?