You have a few options if your IRA does not have enough money to pay unexpected expenses.

  1. If eligible, you can make an annual contribution to your IRA to make up any shortfall.
  2. Your IRA can take out a non-recourse loan from a bank or private third party, although unrelated debt-financed income (UDFI) tax may apply. 
  3. Find someone to partner funds with who is not a disqualified person.